Even though we are a health insurance agency in Atlanta, we have several group clients that are headquartered in California. One of the insurers we represent there is Blue Shield of California. They just sent this announcement regarding their response to the pandemic: In an ongoing effort to meet the needs of the times, Blue Shield of California is extending cost-sharing waivers through December 31, 2020 for COVID-19 treatment and for Teladoc virtual medicine visits.
On April 1, 2020, Blue Shield announced it will waive co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles for treatment for COVID-19 received between March 1, 2020 and May 31, 2020. This waiver was previously extended to September 30, 2020. Today, we are extending this waiver through December 31, 2020. This applies to the following plan types:
- Fully insured and flex-funded employer-sponsored plans
- Plans purchased through Blue Shield of California directly
- Plans purchased through Covered California
- Medicare Advantage plans
- Medicare Supplement plans
- Employer-sponsored plans where the plan sponsor elects to pay for copays, coinsurance, and deductibles for COVID-19 treatment. These plans are not required to cover these costs. Employer groups with questions on this topic should contact their account team.
Medi-Cal members have no out-of-pocket costs for treatments. Covered services include any treatments for COVID-19 from doctors, hospitals, and other healthcare professionals in a plan’s network from March 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. Providers must use proper diagnosis and procedure codes related to COVID-19 for Blue Shield to waive member deductible, copay, and coinsurance liability for treatment.
Please note: COVID-19 guidance is evolving rapidly. Our responses are based on existing guidance and are subject to change depending on legal and/or regulatory developments. Please contact your Angus McRae benefits consultant if you have questions on how your plan handles Covid testing and claims.